Comments

Jakub Jermář

30 Mar 2013 10:25

There will be a day when we will need to run this script from inside HelenOS. Assuming we will have Python, but not a classical Unix shell, shouldn't the script be rather written in Python?

Jakub Jermář

30 Mar 2013 10:27

Btw, is the repository public? I get the following error when trying to clone it:

[jermar@gorgo software]$ git clone git@github.com:vhotspur/coastline.git
Cloning into 'coastline'...
Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

Vojtěch Horký

30 Mar 2013 18:27

Btw, is the repository public?

Hmm, somehow GitHub has different opinion of what is read-only... I changed the link, it should work now. Thanks for noticing.

shouldn't the script be rather written in Python?

First of all, I am not very strong with Python and the script is mostly about launching other programs, thus Unix shell was quite natural choice. But even if it would be written in Python, we would still need to have the Unix shell there because of the configure scripts. Anyway, it is just a temporary tool that makes porting efforts better reproducible. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jakub Jermář

3 Apr 2013 00:13

Ok, I managed to install zlib and libgmp. It looks like http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-current/mpfr-3.1.1.tar.bz2 has disappeared in the meantime, preventing the build of libmpfr.

Once you have the directory structure, it is quite easy to work with the script, still I have some ideas how to improve the user experience:

How about supporting a hosted mode in which the coastline repo would be cloned directly into the HelenOS tree root and initialized by something like hsct.sh init-hosted? Switching between the coast-build and the HelenOS source tree could be then automated.

Do you think it will be once possible to support also pcc, binutils and even python builds in coastline?

Vojtěch Horký

3 Apr 2013 14:28

First of all, thanks for trying it. The link was fixed, you may need to remove empty file from the sources/ folder.

I am not 100% sure about cloning the repo directly into the HelenOS tree but adding an option to create the config file sounds like a good idea.

What you mean by switch here?

Yes. I think it is a good idea to have the ported applications in a different repository and leave in the source tree only the libraries/programs created primarily for HelenOS. I am planning to try to move PCC to coastline and, maybe, eventually remove it from the HelenOS source tree. But it is too early for that. Regarding Python - that should be relatively easy: it uses my old configure helper script and actually some of the patches sent to the ML correspond (more or less) with my GCC branch.

Jakub Jermář

3 Apr 2013 17:22

What you mean by switch here?

Go to coast-build, build zlib, go to HelenOS dir, rebuild, go to coast-build, build something else, go to HelenOS dir, rebuild etc...

Jakub Jermář

3 Apr 2013 21:07

And of course, a formal description of harbour dependencies and transitive installation of these dependencies would be nice. If everything POSIX-like will be eventually moved to coastline, we could move the entire libposix there too.

Knight Shift

2 Jan 2021 18:06

Cool! Looks interesting, my curiousity encircles my mind and just amaze of what I've seen, thanks for sharing!

-Chad stamped concrete patio wilmington nc

keywave

5 Jan 2021 03:22

I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and a nice share. I want to thank you. hot shot near me

chuck

5 Jan 2021 06:02

Brilliant article, a debt of gratitude is in order for assembling this! This is clearly one extraordinary post. junk pick up in Olathe

sam

5 Jan 2021 07:38

Thank you for sharing the amazing information. cleaning Canberra

sambrokh

26 Jan 2021 16:30

Just continue and believing in your self I know good things are coming to your hard work. Please let us know if you need Dental Implants and other dental services.

cj chuck

27 Jan 2021 11:53

I believe in you just keep it up improvising your idea. On the day that this OS will lunch I will support you. Thank you for sharing this with us. Please visit our website [url=https://hosquaredmarketing.com]renton marketing companies[/url] to see our good quality services.

cj chuck

27 Jan 2021 11:54

I believe in you just keep it up improvising your idea. On the day that this OS will lunch I will support you. Thank you for sharing this with us. Please visit our website renton marketing companies to see our good quality services.

van assist

27 Jan 2021 12:23

Don't give up you eventually finish the OS. We will always support your work. Thank you for sharing. Please visit our website here, https://www.stocktonjunk.com/junk-removal-lodi-ca.html we are offering a good quality services

chuck

8 Feb 2021 07:53

You made some good points there. I really think this excellent website wants much more consideration. As I would like to think, if all website admin and bloggers made great substance as you did, the web will be significantly more valuable than any other time in recent memory thank you for sharing this. appliance recycling

"recycling appliances "

8 Feb 2021 08:16

I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so I think it is very useful and knowledgeable please visit us "recycling appliances "recycling appliances ""

marcumharrison1

9 Jul 2021 03:55

Hello, I know this is my perfect chance to share this game that may catch your attention. Please allow me to share this game called spades download for windows and https://games.lol/plants-vs-zombies-2/. By the way, I no interest in the stuff you share above, may interest s for gaming only and I hope that you will try the two games I introduce here. That's all, I have nothing much to say.